OR Charge Nurse
Provides direct patient care to adolescent (age ≥16) through geriatric patient populations. Addresses the psychosocial, physical and general aspects of care related to the surgical environment. Communicates with surgeon and anesthesiologist continuously and as needed about patient condition. Assists with the maintenance of surgical equipment and inventory. Participates in performance improvement activities. Supervises surgical staff, assisting with staff scheduling.
$5000.00 Sign On Bonus!
Demonstrates Competency in the Following Areas
• Directs actions toward supervision of nursing care given to adolescent (age ≥16), adult and geriatric patients with Surgical Services according to nursing principles.
• Ability to adequately assess and reassess pain. Utilizes appropriate pain management techniques. Educates the patient and family regarding pain management.
• Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
• Supports and maintains a culture of safety and quality.
• Provides for safe transportation of all patients to and from Surgical Services Department.
• Verifies availability of all supplies required for correct operation of the department. Obtains supplies per PAR levels.
• Supervises and oversees sterilization process.
• Supervises clinical aspects of Sterile Processing.
• Supervises care of OR suite and equipment to ensure cleanliness, sterility and operational ability of all items.
• Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patient population served. Able to interpret data about the patient’s status in order to identify each patient’s age specific needs and provide care needed by the patient group.
• Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity. Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethnic and religious/spiritual needs of patients and their families.
• Directs all safety measures to prevent accidents, harm or injury in any way to patient, staff or equipment.
• Controls traffic to avoid infection.
• Verifies that proper temperature, humidity, ventilation and lighting are maintained to provide a comfortable work environment.
• Assists surgeons in operations through provision of qualified staff; formulates schedule which provides staff available for all procedures.
• Runs the OR schedule: scheduled cases, add-ons, emergencies.
• Assures presence of Circulating RN for all cases.
• Assigns staff; delegates specific duties and tasks.
• Provides and controls supplies and equipment needed for successful operation of the Surgical Services Department. Directs and delegates control of inventories to ensure proper amounts available.
• Verifies that narcotics and controlled substances are counted and locked, per hospital policy.
• Follows the seven (7) medication rights and reduces the potential for medication errors.
• Supervises care and cleanliness of equipment and supplies to ensure good working conditions.
• Evaluates needs for new or different items in regard to present and new trends or needs of the department.
• Observes use and handling of supplies to decrease mishandling and breakage.
• Continuously supervises staff to ensure quality of nursing care.
• Delegates; reviews performance improvement monitoring; analyzes and evaluates Surgical Services to improve nursing care.
• Ability to perform waived testing (point-of-care testing) per Clinical Laboratory’s and the patient care unit’s policies and procedures.
• Ability to interpret results of waived tests; take appropriate action on waived tests results.
• Assists the Surgical Services Manager/Director with the following:
o Develops, revises and implements Surgical Services Department policies and procedures.
o Participates in planning Surgical Services Department budget.
o Provides monthly in-services.
o Provides orientation for new staff members.
o Plans, controls, directs and coordinates administrative duties to ensure the functioning of the department and staff.
o Completes annual evaluations in a timely manner. New employees are given checklists, oriented and evaluated at end of 90 days.
o Schedules and assigns staff to increase efficiency and coordination of department. Staffs according to standards.
o Reports changes of any type to Surgical Services staff and reports changes to departments affected by the changes (i.e., Pathology, Radiology).
o Demonstrates knowledge of nursing theory and management; demonstrates knowledge of disaster and emergency policies and procedures. Keeps informed of new developments in nursing and surgery. Demonstrates knowledge of good interpersonal relationships.
o Communicates job expectations; posts results of quality improvement monitoring.
• Conducts monthly staff meetings. Allows staff to participate in problem-solving.
• Gains commitment of subordinates to the hospital’s mission, values and goals and to the Department’s focus statement. Translates this into operational guidelines that achieve patient, family, physician and staff satisfaction.
• Ensures employees’ time are accurately completed, as required.
• Utilizes initiative; strives to maintain steady level of productivity; self motivated. Completes projects by due date.
• Completes other duties as assigned by Nurse Executive and Surgical Services Nurse Manager/Director, within the Texas Board of Nurses scope of nursing practice.
• Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
• Current Registered Nurse licensure in the State of Texas.
• Current BCLS certification, required.
• Current ACLS certification, required.
• EKG or Arrhythmia-identification and certification, preferred.
• At least two (2) years of nursing and surgical experience.
DOWNLOAD & COMPLETE THE APPLICATION MANUALLY
Click Download to open the fillable job application in a new tab.
Go to File > Save Page As > PDF
to save to your computer.
Once your application and resumé are ready, Click + Select to select your application from where it is saved.
Submit and then repeat process for resumé.
Click Submit after you upload your application.
Include your name in the title of each document you upload. List all desired positions on the application, if more that 1.
Why Crescent regional Hospital?
At Crescent Regional Hospital, our goal is, and always has been, to cultivate a community of doctors, nurses, and administrators to breathe new life into a previously dying hospital as to provide a continuum of care for the communities of Lancaster, DeSoto, and all surrounding areas. Unwavering in our vision and determined to not just be a choice in healthcare, but the choice in healthcare we need to hire the best from the community as to give the best care for the community.
Being of relative size to the communities we serve, both in staff and structure, allows us the ability to collaborate with and learn from one another as a means to provide treatment which is extensive, thorough, and specific to each patient. And because our internal culture is one of recognizing individual strengths and accomplishments, everyone gets their deserved moment to shine. As members of the Crescent Regional Family, we build one another up because we understand when we strive, our patients and community thrive which perpetuates us all into excellence.
We thank you for your interest in seeking employment with Crescent Regional Hospital and look forward to working with you when you become part of the Crescent Regional Family!