Responsible for direction of patient care in the medical surgical setting. Manages staff members in the Medical Surgical Unit. Consults with staff, physicians and Nurse Executive on nursing problems and interpretation of hospital policies to ensure patient needs are met. Maintains performance improvement activities within the department and participates in CQI activities. Assists in formulating budget.
Demonstrates Competency in the Following Areas
• Responsible for the direction of the Medical Surgical Unit nursing staff.
• Ability to perform a head-to-toe assessment and reassessments on all patients as per policy. This includes: pediatric, geriatric and the general population.
• Ability to adequately assess and reassess pain. Utilizes appropriate pain management techniques. Educates the patient and family regarding pain management.
• Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
• Supports and maintains a culture of safety and quality.
• Knowledge of medications and their correct administration based on age of the patient and their clinical condition.
• Follows the seven (7) medication rights and reduces the potential for medication errors.
• Coordinates and directs patient care to ensure patients’ needs are met and hospital policy is followed.
• Ability to perform waived testing (point of care testing) per Clinical Laboratory’s and the patient care unit’s policies and procedures.
• Ability to interpret the results of waived tests; takes appropriate action on waived test results.
• Ability to revise plan of care as indicated by the patient’s response to treatment and evaluate the overall plan daily for effectiveness.
• Formulates a teaching plan based upon identified learning needs and evaluates effectiveness of learning. Family is included in teaching as appropriate.
• Communicates appropriately and clearly to physicians, staff, Nurse Executive and administrative team.
• Treats patients and their families with respect and dignity. Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethnic and religious/spiritual needs of patients and family. Functions as liaison between administration, patients, physicians and other healthcare providers.
• Demonstrates ability to assist physicians with procedures.
• Interacts professionally with patient/family and involves patient/family in the formulation of the plan of care.
• Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly.
• Maintains a good working relationship both within the department and with other departments.
• Consults other departments as appropriate to provide and collaborate in patient care and performance improvement activities.
• Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized and function well under stressful situations.
• Maintains performance improvement activities for the department.
• Documentation meets current standards and policies.
• Provides education to staff on performance improvement. Ability to plan and organize orientation and inservice training for unit staff members. Participates in guidance and educational programs.
• Performs management activities including interviewing, hiring, evaluating, termination and departmental staffing scheduling.
• Maintains records pertinent to staff and operation of the unit. Prepares reports, i.e., utilization, performance improvement, outcome data.
• Participates in patient care conferences.
• Graduate from an accredited school of nursing, baccalaureate degree or current enrollment in a program.
• Current state Registered Nurse Licensure.
• Three (3) or more years of previous experience in all aspects of medical surgical nursing and a minimum of two (2) years supervisory experience.
• Current BCLS certification.
• Successful completion of arrhythmia course.
DOWNLOAD & COMPLETE THE APPLICATION MANUALLY
Click Download to open the fillable job application in a new tab.
Go to File > Save Page As > PDF
to save to your computer.
Once your application and resumé are ready, Click + Select to select your application from where it is saved.
Submit and then repeat process for resumé.
Click Submit after you upload your application.
Include your name in the title of each document you upload. List all desired positions on the application, if more that 1.
Why Crescent regional Hospital?
At Crescent Regional Hospital, our goal is, and always has been, to cultivate a community of doctors, nurses, and administrators to breathe new life into a previously dying hospital as to provide a continuum of care for the communities of Lancaster, DeSoto, and all surrounding areas. Unwavering in our vision and determined to not just be a choice in healthcare, but the choice in healthcare we need to hire the best from the community as to give the best care for the community.
Being of relative size to the communities we serve, both in staff and structure, allows us the ability to collaborate with and learn from one another as a means to provide treatment which is extensive, thorough, and specific to each patient. And because our internal culture is one of recognizing individual strengths and accomplishments, everyone gets their deserved moment to shine. As members of the Crescent Regional Family, we build one another up because we understand when we strive, our patients and community thrive which perpetuates us all into excellence.
We thank you for your interest in seeking employment with Crescent Regional Hospital and look forward to working with you when you become part of the Crescent Regional Family!